Monday, March 2, 2009

Bad Mood Chasers

As you may or may not know, I'm a huge magazine freak! At any one time, I've got about 10-12 magazines in a pile to read. I haven't figured out how much money I spend a month on this habit and I don't want to know!!!


Anyways, I was reading Woman's World dated March 2nd and there's an article in here titled "Beating a Bad Mood". In this article, they list 7 things you can do to get out of a funk.


  1. Write it down.....it essentially says to write down 5 things that went right that day, from the littlest thing to the biggest. And when you see these things written down, it'll lift your mood.
  2. Make something grow....it says to dig into the earth and plant something. Supposedly gardening soil has certain compounds that boost your levels of serotonin in your brain.
  3. Put on the radio......listening to your favorite music eases your depression.
  4. Ask myself this question.....instead of saying postive "affirmations", try "afformations". Afformations are defined in this article as "empowering questions that change the subconscious thought from negative to positive".
  5. Put your feet up-literally.........lie down and put your legs on the wall. The article says that "the increase blood flow to the brain helps clear your mind and even helps increase serotonin levels".
  6. Do something good for someone else.....no explanation needed for this one!
  7. Be grateful for what you're not....remember those obstacles from the past that you've overcome.

I've tried a couple of these in the past and they do work. Now that spring is around the corner, I am looking forward to digging into my garden which I've sorely neglected this winter. I'm looking forward to figuring out what I can plant in it that doesn't take too much maintenance. Now that may sound a little half assed backwards considering I'm telling y'all I can't wait to dig into it. I just don't want all my free time consumed with actually maintaining the damn thing :) My idea of gardening is a little weeding and watering.

I'm in search of new ideas, new things to do when I'm in a bad mood. What do y'all do when those icky funks hit?

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Since it usually happens at home, I go into my room (the den) and begin to cross stitch...Can't wait to see how your garden grows!

Sandy's Cross Stitch said...

Thank you for passing this on, I am definitely going to try these.